Herbert Art Gallery extension Coventry 2002
Architect: Haworth Tompkins
Thom Gill was a project architect on the refurbishment and enlargement of the
1950's institution in the heart of Coventry, within view of Basil Spence's
Cathedral. Tactical new elements such as a south gallery and a sculptural
rooftop media centre complemented a complete internal re-build of the
existing L-shaped brick block.
Design Award for Accessibility
Photos: Kilian O'Sullivan
The gallery (front left) is formed around a courtyard.
New south gallery and seminar space wrapped in glass.
A new glazed opening brings light down into the entrance.
Folded zinc roofs reach toward the Cathedral.
The new south gallery is also a window onto the city.
Lightwell over the new entrance.
White surfaces and pale timber furniture lighten the entrance foyer.
Playful units in the gallery shop were designed to engage children.